Hello There, Guest! LoginRegister

Facebook

Events | New Posts | New Threads

Welcome to Marineford, Guest! Can you survive on the Grand Line? Become a Pirate and start your journey: Click here! Join us. Share theories. Make friends.

Today's Chapters: Fairy Tail | Nanatsu no Taizai | Tower of God

One Piece 2.7) Rumor: Brook cannot die
Gobee129 Offline
Fleet Admiral
Revolutionaries
Supernova
Threads:
Crew:
Marines 

"Kigarashi - Yellow Lion"

3,204,266,593฿

Achievements
2.7) Rumor: Brook cannot die

Fact: Brook can indeed die. The Yomi Yomi no Mi is a Paramecia-type Devil Fruit which enhances the user's soul to the point where they can come back to life after dying once, remaining alive until their body is sufficiently damaged, which in Brook’s case means that if his bones are completely destroyed, he will die like a normal human being and won’t return.

Brook explains his regeneration ability after the time-skip, when he is shown to be capable of reattaching his head in the event it is pulled off, and according to the skeleton, as long as his bones are not broken, his core remains unharmed, which will allow him to reconstruct his body.

Source: Chapter 443 – Brook states he has a 2nd life, Chapter 643 – Brook explains his regeneration

Return to FAQ Index

12-31-2013 05:15 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Chopper Offline
Threads:
Crew:

"Epic Point"

123,222,130฿

Achievements
RE: 2.7) Rumor: Brook cannot die

He should be a lot more brave than he's been now.What is he scared at when he can't be killed easily? (?)

08-05-2014 03:39 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
CodeZero Offline
Vice Admirals
World Nobles
Threads:
Crew:
Marines 

"Murahebi - Violet Snake"

1,397,087,870฿

Achievements

Now here's an interesting question. Would Brook die if someone used Kairoseki on him, e.g. Smoker with his jitte? Or if Blackbeard grabbed him?

08-05-2014 03:49 PM
Gobee129 Offline
Fleet Admiral
Revolutionaries
Supernova
Threads:
Crew:
Marines 

3,204,266,593฿

Achievements

(08-05-2014 03:49 PM)CodeZero Wrote:  Now here's an interesting question. Would Brook die if someone used Kairoseki on him, e.g. Smoker with his jitte? Or if Blackbeard grabbed him?

No, why? The Yomi Yomi no Mi granted him a second life, his soul is attached to his body. It's not just a vessel (else Brook would be able to jump from body to body, kinda like Orochimaru). Ever noticed that when Brook's soul leaves his body, the connection never rips off? Another proof would be that if Brook's body gets crushed completely, he dies. (Like every other human being as well lol) So his soul is definitely bound to his own body, he is a completely normal human being, as far as this argument goes. I assume u speculate that his soul will cease to work/exist, if Brook gets touched by Kairoseki, but I dont think that works:

Kairoseki paralyzes the DF user, thus rendering DF abilities useless to the point of "negating the DF". But Brook's soul doesnt get created by a DF power, right? I mean it's not like Brook activates his DF and thus his soul comes into existence, like a Paramecia, Zoan or Logia ability. Instead, Brook's soul was brought back ONCE already way in the past, so now Brook is a normal human being (just instead of a flesh body, he has a skeleton body). You can think of him as normal human being, resurrected like in DBZ e.g. just with the looks of a skeleton^^ He has a second life. Now the only thing his DF does, is to give him these special soul abilities. It's not like his DF now keeps him alive, like some sort of supernatural pacemaker, Brook actually IS alive, even if u take the DF "away from him".

Let's consider this: Imagine there would be a Soul Soul DF, that allows the user to use his soul to leave his body (like Brook does). That fruit was eaten by Sanji, a normal human. Now would Sanji die, when he gets touched with Kairoseki? No! All that would do is turn Sanji unable to use his DF. Brook is the exact same thing: He was resurrected by his DF, that's it. It's not like his soul is a creation of continous DF power, that would stop if Kairoseki comes into play.

The Yomi Yomi no Mi gets activated automatically when the user dies, bringing the soul back into this life. That's it. One thing at one point of time, not a continous thing like all other DFs, that could be cancelled by water or Kairoseki.

(This post was last modified: 08-06-2014 04:03 AM by Gobee129.)
08-06-2014 04:00 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
The following 1 user Likes Gobee129's post:
Chopper (08-06-2014)
Chopper Offline
Threads:
Crew:

"Epic Point"

123,222,130฿

Achievements

(08-06-2014 04:00 AM)Gobee129 Wrote:  
(08-05-2014 03:49 PM)CodeZero Wrote:  Now here's an interesting question. Would Brook die if someone used Kairoseki on him, e.g. Smoker with his jitte? Or if Blackbeard grabbed him?

No, why? The Yomi Yomi no Mi granted him a second life, his soul is attached to his body. It's not just a vessel (else Brook would be able to jump from body to body, kinda like Orochimaru). Ever noticed that when Brook's soul leaves his body, the connection never rips off? Another proof would be that if Brook's body gets crushed completely, he dies. (Like every other human being as well lol) So his soul is definitely bound to his own body, he is a completely normal human being, as far as this argument goes. I assume u speculate that his soul will cease to work/exist, if Brook gets touched by Kairoseki, but I dont think that works:

Kairoseki paralyzes the DF user, thus rendering DF abilities useless to the point of "negating the DF". But Brook's soul doesnt get created by a DF power, right? I mean it's not like Brook activates his DF and thus his soul comes into existence, like a Paramecia, Zoan or Logia ability. Instead, Brook's soul was brought back ONCE already way in the past, so now Brook is a normal human being (just instead of a flesh body, he has a skeleton body). You can think of him as normal human being, resurrected like in DBZ e.g. just with the looks of a skeleton^^ He has a second life. Now the only thing his DF does, is to give him these special soul abilities. It's not like his DF now keeps him alive, like some sort of supernatural pacemaker, Brook actually IS alive, even if u take the DF "away from him".

Let's consider this: Imagine there would be a Soul Soul DF, that allows the user to use his soul to leave his body (like Brook does). That fruit was eaten by Sanji, a normal human. Now would Sanji die, when he gets touched with Kairoseki? No! All that would do is turn Sanji unable to use his DF. Brook is the exact same thing: He was resurrected by his DF, that's it. It's not like his soul is a creation of continous DF power, that would stop if Kairoseki comes into play.

The Yomi Yomi no Mi gets activated automatically when the user dies, bringing the soul back into this life. That's it. One thing at one point of time, not a continous thing like all other DFs, that could be cancelled by water or Kairoseki.

That is also what I think but I couldn't think of way to explain it and you explained it so much better. Thumbs Up

08-06-2014 04:39 AM
CodeZero Offline
Vice Admirals
World Nobles
Threads:
Crew:
Marines 

1,397,087,870฿

Achievements

I can understand that, but I just thought it went something like this.

It's not that Brook's Devil Fruit was what created his soul (I agree with you here), but rather, I always considered his Devil Fruit being what allows his soul to continue to remain in this realm. Also, in addition to that, isn't Brook's Devil Fruit what allows his body to sustain life?

Here's an extract from the Yomi Yomi no Mi wiki:
"When the user's soul returns to their body, the powers of the Devil Fruit will fortunately support the user's well being in the case that their body may be in a condition unable to support life."

So, if Brook gets touched by Kairoseki or Blackbeard --> powers get negated --> nothing is supporting Brook's life --> R.I.P. Brook

Cause I mean, all Brook is (physically), is a skeleton. There should be no way for him to go about being a normal human being. Had he returned to his body after freshly dying (from something like starvation), then perhaps he could (after getting nourishment and healing the damages to his body), but aside from that, it shouldn't be possible. Hence why I think it's his Devil Fruit which allows him to be 'alive'.

08-06-2014 06:42 AM
Gobee129 Offline
Fleet Admiral
Revolutionaries
Supernova
Threads:
Crew:
Marines 

3,204,266,593฿

Achievements

(08-06-2014 06:42 AM)CodeZero Wrote:  

I can understand that, but I just thought it went something like this.

It's not that Brook's Devil Fruit was what created his soul (I agree with you here), but rather, I always considered his Devil Fruit being what allows his soul to continue to remain in this realm. Also, in addition to that, isn't Brook's Devil Fruit what allows his body to sustain life?

Here's an extract from the Yomi Yomi no Mi wiki:
"When the user's soul returns to their body, the powers of the Devil Fruit will fortunately support the user's well being in the case that their body may be in a condition unable to support life."

So, if Brook gets touched by Kairoseki or Blackbeard --> powers get negated --> nothing is supporting Brook's life --> R.I.P. Brook

Cause I mean, all Brook is (physically), is a skeleton. There should be no way for him to go about being a normal human being. Had he returned to his body after freshly dying (from something like starvation), then perhaps he could (after getting nourishment and healing the damages to his body), but aside from that, it shouldn't be possible. Hence why I think it's his Devil Fruit which allows him to be 'alive'.

I doubt that, like I said above, Brook is alive like a normal human being. The return of his soul is a fixed thing from the past, not somehting continuous. The circumstances of that return obviously defy the laws of nourishment, bloodflow, metabolism, ... , human stuff like that, but aside from that, he is a normal human being with a soul in his body. You see his fruit as a pacemaker "nothing is supporting his life", and like I explained above, I just dont see that.

Proof? Brook taking a bath:

Kairoseki mirrors the effects of water (Oda confirmed it can be any kind of water, not just seawater). If Brook takes a deep bath, he would die according to you, since the water would paralyze Brook, making him unable to use his DF, thus the soul would be unable to support his life -> death.

Same when he was almost drowning on Fishman Island:

(Bottom right panel)

I should have thought of this yesterday lol But anyway, your "pacemaker" idea is now disproved, Brook will not die by water or Kairoseki because he loses his DF, he would simply die by drowning, like every other normal DF human ;)

(This post was last modified: 01-26-2016 11:21 PM by Gobee129.)
08-06-2014 04:18 PM
The following 1 user Likes Gobee129's post:
Chopper (08-06-2014)
CodeZero Offline
Vice Admirals
World Nobles
Threads:
Crew:
Marines 

1,397,087,870฿

Achievements

I have never said that his soul is what's keeping Brook alive, I said it was his Devil Fruit power (even though it doesn't make much difference, there's still a difference).

Aside from that, your 'proof' is quite questionable.

I'll provide you with another quote, but this time, from the Devil Fruit wiki page:
"Brook was also seen slowly losing his strength as the water levels in the floods the Ryugu Palace, demonstrating that being in contact with the sea does not instantly rob their strength unless it reaches a certain level."

Just because a Devil Fruit User is in contact with water, doesn't mean that they have their abilities nullified instantly. Just look at Luffy during the Arlong Park Arc. He was still able to stretch despite his head being the only thing above the water. To me it seems like, being completely submerged underwater would be the only thing that would cause Devil Fruit Users to lose their abilities (but even then, it would only happen after a certain time lapse).

Otherwise, if just any amount of water would negate the abilities of Devil Fruit Users, spitting would be a pretty good tactic. XDD

(This post was last modified: 08-07-2014 06:51 AM by CodeZero.)
08-07-2014 06:46 AM
Chopper Offline
Threads:
Crew:

"Epic Point"

123,222,130฿

Achievements

(08-07-2014 06:46 AM)CodeZero Wrote:  I have never said that his soul is what's keeping Brook alive, I said it was his Devil Fruit power (even though it doesn't make much difference, there's still a difference).

I'll provide you with another quote, but this time, from the Devil Fruit wiki page:
"Brook was also seen slowly losing his strength as the water levels in the floods the Ryugu Palace, demonstrating that being in contact with the sea does not instantly rob their strength unless it reaches a certain level."

Man, it says strength, not DF ability.Strength here means physical strength and as I understand seawater or any other kind of water will just weaken DF users' strength, not weaken the DF ability.

Being in contact with waters will never make Brook lose his DF ability.Same with Luffy's head being in water in fight with Arlong, he still able to use his DF very well.But it weaken Luffy's strength a lil' bit.But if you got completely drown then you won't be able to move at all but your DF powers are still available to be use but since you can't move, it doesn't matter at all.

08-07-2014 05:56 PM
Gobee129 Offline
Fleet Admiral
Revolutionaries
Supernova
Threads:
Crew:
Marines 

3,204,266,593฿

Achievements

(08-07-2014 06:46 AM)CodeZero Wrote:  I have never said that his soul is what's keeping Brook alive, I said it was his Devil Fruit power (even though it doesn't make much difference, there's still a difference).

Just because a Devil Fruit User is in contact with water, doesn't mean that they have their abilities nullified instantly. Just look at Luffy during the Arlong Park Arc. He was still able to stretch despite his head being the only thing above the water. To me it seems like, being completely submerged underwater would be the only thing that would cause Devil Fruit Users to lose their abilities (but even then, it would only happen after a certain time lapse).

Otherwise, if just any amount of water would negate the abilities of Devil Fruit Users, spitting would be a pretty good tactic. XDD

It's not at all. Losing strength is exactly what I said:

(08-06-2014 04:18 PM)Gobee129 Wrote:  Kairoseki mirrors the effects of water (Oda confirmed it can be any kind of water, not just seawater). If Brook takes a deep bath, he would die according to you, since the water would paralyze Brook, making him unable to use his DF, thus the soul would be unable to support his life -> death.

I know that the DF ability is not "gone", but the user cannot use it anymore either. I have a pretty good hang on how this works by now, as seen in my previous post. Brook will not die, no matter what you do to him. He can only die by getting his bones' crushed or probably when his second lifespan reaches an end as well (tho that's just a guess).

(This post was last modified: 08-08-2014 01:29 AM by Gobee129.)
08-08-2014 01:29 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  One Piece 3.6) Rumor: Kizaru Was Scared Of Benn Beckman Gobee129 11 4,738 09-10-2016 07:56 PM
Last Post: Dex
  One Piece 3.2) Rumor: Law is Sabo Gobee129 17 2,514 08-31-2016 12:30 AM
Last Post: pandapugger22
  One Piece 2.12) Rumor: Only Seawater Weakens Devil Fruit Users & Water Weakens On First Touch Gobee129 10 1,774 08-31-2016 12:29 AM
  One Piece 2.2) Rumor: Jozu is a Logia user Gobee129 8 1,327 08-30-2016 11:05 PM
  One Piece 2.8) Rumor: Shiki ate the Gravity Devil Fruit Gobee129 8 1,514 08-30-2016 10:53 PM
  One Piece 2.4) Rumor: Momonosuke ate the Zoan Devil Fruit Type: Dragon Gobee129 8 2,152 08-30-2016 10:50 PM
  One Piece 3.9) Rumor: The Whitebeard Commanders Are Ranked By Strength Gobee129 7 1,658 08-30-2016 10:45 PM
  One Piece 2.11) Rumor: People Can Share 1 Devil Fruit & You Need To Eat The Whole Devil Fruit Gobee129 4 1,202 08-30-2016 09:22 PM
  One Piece 3.5) Rumor: Absalom is the mystery journalist Abusa/Absa Gobee129 11 3,702 08-30-2016 09:06 PM
  One Piece 2.9) Rumor: Caesar’s pet Slime/Smiley ate some kind of Toxic Gas Devil Fruit Gobee129 5 1,324 08-30-2016 08:54 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)